Patricia Walker Shaw Scholarship
To: Schools, Churches, Organizations, and Community Centers
Subject: NCBW – Patricia Walker Shaw Scholarship Application
The National Coalition of 100 Black Women (NCBW), Inc., Memphis Chapter, announces its annual Patricia Walker Shaw Scholarship Program. The program is open to women and girls who are or will be pursuing a higher level of education. Recipients of this scholarship may be a graduate of public secondary education, enrolled in a specialized technical/professional program of study, returning to college after starting a career, or attending college. There is no age limitation for the recipient of this scholarship.
This is a one-time-only scholarship for those pursuing their first degree. Our scholarship award will be distributed to the selected students upon proof of enrollment and current grade status at an accredited college, trade/professional, or technical school. The first scholarship amount will be provided in September after enrollment verification has been received. The remaining amount of the scholarship will be provided to the student after receipt of proof of the student’s continuing enrollment from the institution they are attending.
Students should review the attached information and ensure that all requirements are met. Only complete applications will receive full credit. Please carefully review each aspect of the application and complete it accordingly. All application materials must be returned to NCBW and postmarked no later than April 7, 2023, to be considered. Final selections will be made by May 19, 2023.
Thank you for your interest in our scholarship program. We are committed to reaching and assisting our “unique” sisters through this scholarship effort.
Deborah Rivers Charie Carroll
Deborah Rivers Charie Carroll
President, NCBW Memphis Chapter Education Director, NCBW Memphis Chapter
The Patricia Walker Shaw scholarship program aims to provide educational funding support to African American women to assist applicants in achieving lifelong educational goals.
The scholarship is awarded each year based on the availability of funds. The awards are presented to women displaying academic excellence, community service, and financial need. The scholarship is awarded after a competitive screening process is completed and proof of enrollment is confirmed.
1. Applicants must provide proof of enrollment or acceptance in an accredited post-secondary college/university, technical school, or other professional training institution.
2. Awarded applicants are encouraged to attend the reception scheduled for June 18, 2023. Time and place of the reception with be provided to the recipient upon selection. If, for any reason, you cannot attend the reception, please notify Charie Carroll at 901-338-7569 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Applicants must have a great need for scholarship funding. Please submit a narrative statement about why financial assistance is necessary. This submission should include a copy of any application for financial need you have filed (FAFSA) or documentation of household income.
4. Applicants must have a 2.5 minimum grade point average (GPA) at the time of application and verify by transcript or certified letter from the appropriate school official.
5. Applicants must submit a minimum 300-word essay stating how and why you chose your field of study and how a scholarship would benefit you in your career pursuit. Please incorporate your experiences, goals, and aspirations into the essay. ALL ESSAYS MUST BE TYPED AND DOUBLED SPACED.
6. Applicants must submit two non-relative references. References should be on official organization, church, business, or school letterhead. Examples of possible references include School teachers, church leaders, community leaders, employers, supervisors, etc.
7. Please list your outside activities that show your involvement in civic and community activities over the last two to three years, including any awards or recognition you received.
8. Please submit with the application a recent photo (graduation photo is preferred or another appropriate picture) for use in our publication of this program. Selfies are not allowed. The photo will not be returned. Please add your name on the back of the photo.
9. Application must be postmarked by April 7, 2023, to be considered. No exceptions!
10. If you have questions about the application process, please contact Charie Carroll at 901-338-7569 or email@example.com.
The Patricia Walker, Shaw Scholarship Committee, will review all applications and notify applicants of their status. However, incomplete applications may not receive full credit or may be discarded. The recipients will be recognized at our Scholarship Reception on June 18, 2023.
Please mail the completed application by the due date to:
National Coalition of 100 Black Women, Inc.
Attn. Charie Carroll
P.O. Box 2131 Memphis, TN 38101-2131
Thank you for being so interested in the Patricia Walker Shaw Scholarship.